Hay fever is characterized as the reaction of the immune system due to any allergic substance present in the air. These substances include dust, trees, plants, grass, weed pollens and birds. Hay fever is also called as allergic rhinitis and pollinosis.
Symptoms of hay fever ranges from mild to moderate to severe:
Mild symptoms do not appear on complete body:
- Itching or spots on skin.
- Itching in eyes.
- Watering of eyes.
Moderate symptoms of hay fever are given below:
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Sneezing and running nose.
Severe symptoms of hay fever are also known as “Anaphylaxis’’.
- Swelling of throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing food.
- Abdomen pain.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Mental stress.
When a person is affected by hay fever, following changes in the body takes place firstly:
- Body’s immune system starts making antibody IgE against the allergens.
- These antibodies stuck to the mast cells present in the body and starts secreting certain chemicals.
- Most common reasons of hay fever include pollens and dust particles which affect the nasal passages and produce symptoms like;
- Itching and watering of eyes or feelings like presence of sand in eyes.
- Redness of eyes.
- Irritation in nose.
- Running nose.
- Difficulty in breathing or condition like tuberculosis.
- Skin problems.
- Throat infection.
- Irritation in throat.
- Cold and flu.
- Red spots on body.
People showing severe symptoms should immediately admit to hospital. In this situation symptoms starts appearing all over the body and instant medical care should be needed.
Prevention & Treatment:
In order to prevent allergy following instructions should be adapted:
- Keep the windows and doors close during pollen season.
- Avoid going out especially in green areas.
- Use face mask when going out.
- Remove carpets from your room or if it is not possible then regularly clean it with vacuum cleaner.
- Keep cushions and pillows clean.
- Keep your surroundings free of dust.
- In pollen season, the suffered patient should not do heavy and hectic tasks.
- Take steam after regular intervals.
- Use maximum water during allergic attack.
- Patient should take sufficient sound sleep.
- Stress may intensify the allergic symptoms so keep yourself calm.