One can realize the importance of water by the fact that without food one can survive for 3 weeks but without water a person can only survive for 3-4 days. It is the fundamental building block of our body. Human body comprises 70-78% of water. All the cells of our body need it to perform all the essential functions. It reduces friction between the joints and keep them lubricated, it also cushions the spinal cord. Staying hydrated can be beneficial for your overall health. Now-a-days people keep water at lowest priority but they don’t know that they are compromising their health.
Kidney is one of the major organs of our body it totally relies on water supply to perform its work properly but we ignore kidney and remain worried about the health of our heart and lungs. The basic function of our kidneys is excretion it filters the toxic substance present in our body and excrete them out through urine, for this purpose it continuously requires water otherwise its function become disturbed.
The nature is so kind to us that it provides us with a natural mechanism for thirst whenever we feel thirsty, the thirst center present in the brain becomes activated and send signals so as a result we urges to drink water.
It is daily excreted by our body through urination, sweat and to some extent through air so daily optimum hydration is necessary. According to Institute of Medicine (IOM), daily recommendation is 3 liters for males and 2.2 liters for female. It is also present in beverages such as milk and juices. Certain vegetables and fruits are also rich in water content which keeps one hydrated. Coffee, tea, alcohol and beer also contains water but it is not good from health aspect because it has diuretic properties (increase urination). Lack of water put a person to dehydration which is a condition caused due to inadequacy or no supply. Symptoms of dehydration ranges from mild to severe.
Some Common Symptoms Include:
- Decreased saliva production.
- Dry mouth.
- Dark and concentrated urine with peculiar odour.
- Feeling lethargic.
Health Benefits Of Water:
- Clean body of toxic and waste material.
- Add shine to your hair.
- Keep your skin healthy, reduce acne problems.
- Keep you hydrated, refreshed and active.
- Helps in maintaining weight because it provides you with a feeling of fullness thus less food intake.
- Low or no calories.
- Helps in the absorption of certain vitamins and minerals from food.
- If you are tired than go for 1-2 glass of water this will boost up your energy.
- It is good for brain health, helps in concentrating on your work and promotes thinking ability.
- After diarrhea, it helps in reviving to normal health by rehydration.
- Lowers the risk of developing cancer.
- Keeps you young and healthy.
- Better circulation.
- Reduce the chances to develop stones in kidneys and promotes kidney health.